An Umaro Fofana Autobiography meant to inspire

By: Umaru Fofana


I’m not ashamed to say this - and if you’re struggling right now as many young Sierra Leoneans are, please don’t give up:

The first time I came to Freetown was to apply to enter university. The first time I travelled out of Kono District was to rewrite my school-leaving GCE O level exams in Makeni - after skipping a year because my parents couldn’t afford it. The first time I switched on a TV set or made a telephone call was after university. I didn’t even have a cassette player let alone a CD player which I’d marvel at but wouldn’t touch in my friend’s room. My mother had taught and always reminded me to be content with what I had.

My parents never went to school. Nor did their parents or their parents’ parents. And on and on. And to say they struggled to bring me and my siblings up will be an understatement. As a child I had to do what only adults should be doing. But I never had self-pity.

When I fortuitously entered FBC, after mining for diamonds in Tongo and getting some money, I was completely fresh, and there were only TWO people there whom I had ever met in my life - George Boima from Kono and Hassan BARRIE from Makeni.

From the village called Bumpeh, dozens of students from the major schools in Makeni came to our residence to study. I’d been brought there by a friend, Brima Kamara, who thought I was brilliant but that my parents couldn’t afford to continue paying my school fees. He tended to all my needs. We lived in an unfinished house his now late father had been building.

Almost all of the students who came to our residence at Kolo Kolo in Makeni said they wanted to pass English Language and English Literature, some others included Government. They thought by studying alongside me they would be able to achieve that. Thankfully almost all of them did.

From knowing only two students at first at FBC to being overwhelmingly elected as their students’ union president - five candidates contested and I won with over 80% of the votes. That was after the Muslim students had first elected me their president, and the students had voted me to their Representative Council where my colleague Honorable Members resoundingly elected me as the Clerk. Mohamed PaMomoh Fofanah was our Speaker.

As a journalist I’m very proud of my record, much of which you know. I’ve practiced and covered major events in Asia, United States and many countries in Africa. I was twice elected overwhelmingly as president of the country’s journalists - with 91% during my reelection. Crucially, people - young and old, men and women, able-bodied and disabled - come to my office seeking my attention to their plight. Many shed tears - so do I sometimes - after a telephone call or a social media post or a report on the BBC or in Politico changes that or gives them redress. I can’t ask for a more satisfying job.

From that poor village boy from Bumpeh I’ve been to dozens of countries around the world and met with dozens of leaders and touched thousands of souls.

I am writing this because young men and women keep calling or visiting me almost everyday with one challenge or another. Some of them particularly touching. So touching that I’ll always live with them.

Some ask for financial help, which I can’t help much with unfortunately because I am not wealthy and I try to live within my genuine means. They also ask for counseling and inspiration, which I give a lot of and will continue to give, gladly.

Please do not despair - No matter your circumstance. My key advice to you is this: strive very hard to get an education. Strive very hard to educate your child - and sponsor at least one other, if you can. And don’t forget that there is a God. Worship Him! That’s what has brought me this far. And I’m sure with my modest contribution, Sierra Leone is a better place - not a worse one.

Have a great weekend.

God bless you!!

Comments