Travelogue: How I explored Accra’s Thrills

From the lusty jungles of 'mama Salone' to the bustling views of Accra, Ghana, was marked by calm and anxiety on the desk of the flight. My journey from Freetown International Airport to Katoka International Airport in Accra was full of adventure and wonder. I boarded my flight with Asky Airlines, ready for a new experience. The flight was smooth and scenic with an amazing bilingual crew captain and members and their cutting-edge performance to enhance safety and unrivalled comfort that push back the limit of the sky. EXPERIENCE I was poised to have the popular belief as to when boarding a flight for the very first time which many had presented as a rollercoaster adventure or fear of flying 'aerophobia'. I recognized that the air was safe but scary. Maybe it is because the fear of flying is commonly accompanied by shame and the fear of appearing crazy to others in an event of a panic in situations like taking off the tarmac, descending and landing which bring a fraction of heart-warming fusion. After I completed the checks procedures, I eventually entered the corridors of the flight locating my seat number. I quickly approached the window seat with the hope of viewing the wheels of Asky, landscapes and cloudscape and taking pictures altogether. I tightened my seatbelt as announced by one of the crew. We took off from the Freetown International Airport at 8:14am for a two-and-half hour journey. The trip was a welcoming event for me. The crew served us a delicious breakfast meal which gave us plenty of sleep. I reluctantly refused to sleep and I took a long read. Moment later, another announcement was made for descending. I confidently sat tightly for another vibration of the plane. Fast forward, we safely descended with a perfect altitude mark. I calmed myself for the second time after landing. PLACES VISITED As the plane touched down in Accra at 11:12am, I felt a rush of excitement. I had heard so much about this vibrant, colourful city, and I couldn't wait to start exploring. Accra is a city of contracts, with its bustling markets, beautiful beaches, skyscrapers, overhead roads and colonial architecture. We headed straight to Mahogany Louge for a rest in preparation for the purpose of the journey. I visited the Ghana Harbour and Port Authority, also known as the GHPA. The GHPA is the biggest harbour and port in West Africa and the Gulf of Guinea with three terminals and more than 300 surveillance cameras around the entire place. It's headquartered in the port city of Tema, which is the country's largest and busiest port. We had an excursion on the shores of Ghana on a ship accompanied by a young and intelligent captain. On day three, we paid a visit to Christianborg Castle or Osu Castle within Osu community, a district of Accra, which was originally built by the Danes in 1797 (17th century). Presently, it's now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and its grounds include a number of historic buildings, museum and the Multinational Maritime Coordination Centre (MMCC Zone F) within the ECOWAS Maritime domain in the Gulf of Guinea. NIGHTLIFE Accra is homed to vast malls and recreational facilities particularly for night lovers like me. The ShopRite Mall in Accra is one of the fantastic places in the city with host food, pastries, creamies, beverages, jewelries and lots of shops all in colour strips ready to welcome customers. Accra Mall is top of the charts with shops of different types, night clubs and cinematic adventures among others. What surprised me was the cashless system, sanitation, hygiene practice of Ghanaians and GPS transportation system for both commercial vehicles like Yango, Cab and Ulba as well as for personal vehicles. FOOD There were so many delicious dishes to try in Ghana. Some of the most popular include 'Jollof rice', 'red red', 'Bancuo', 'Kenkey' and light soup to name a few. PEOPLE In every sense, Ghanaians are largely friendly, accommodating and easy-go-to for both male and females. I bumped into a host of them with their hotbeds of desire to welcome people of different nationalities. They are always ready to help. They are good listeners, clever and lovely. Conclusively, my journey to Ghana with Asky Airlines was for a training immersion courtesy of Kofi Annan International Peace building Training Centre for a five days course on Maritime Security Reporting with fund from the Danish government in order to curb and create awareness on the maritime insecurities happening in the Gulf of Guinea, and amplifying the Blue economy and the SDGs unlike any other. I explored the city outlooks, met warm and welcoming people, ate delicious banquets and felt the nightlife. The experience left me with a deeper understanding of Ghanaian culture and history. I would recommend anyone interested in exploring Africa to take a trip to this vibrant and fascinating country. Special thanks to KAIPTC and Media Reform Coordinating Group Sierra Leone for such experience and knowledge-acquired opportunity.
By: Mohamed Sahr Email: mohamedsahrpro@gmail.com

Comments