Daniel Thoranka becomes first visually impaired runner to race in the Street Child Marathon

By: alusinerehme.wilson@awokonewspaper.sl


In its decade plus history, this year’s Street Child Marathon which happens to be the 11th Edition of the annual charity marathon jamboree hosted in Makeni city spotlights the unique participation of hundreds of local and international runners including Daniel Thoranka who made history as the first visually impaired runner to run the race.

Running though villages, towns and forest in the northeastern regional district of Bombali like the visually paired runners was not a jolly ride for Daniel Thoronka but the presence of his guide Moses Sankoh racing along with him proved worthwhile. “I’m excited to have signed up and successfully run the annual charity marathon, specifically to inspire other visually impaired colleagues to follow suit,” he said.


He recalled that “Onlookers were amazed and even cheered me up while running equally so they extended the praise to my guide as well for doing a marvelous job to guide me go through the race successfully.”

“I had no stumbling block on the route while racing in the 5 kilometers category, and I’m grateful to God and the onlookers for their support. Nonetheless, I’m excited to have made history on Sunday as the first visually impaired to compete in the Street Child Marathon, a race which I signed up for race only this year, and my participation I would best describe as a show that there is ability in disability," he explained in an interview with Awoko Newspaper.

When asked what he’ll never forget about his participation, Daniel replied saying “my participation and the cheer up I received from fellow participants and the spectators, that said I’m looking forward to seeing more visually impaired persons signing up and running along with me hopefully in the 2024 Street Child Marathon race that is organized to raise fund to support the education of street children in Sierra Leone,” he ended.

Comments