​“The People’s choice is the wave of God, I’ll be a grassroots Bombali MP” – Mohamed Papa asserts

By: alusinerehme.wilson@awokonewspaper.sl


Journalist turned politician Mohamed Papa Bangura of Makeni city in the Bombali District, Northeastern Sierra Leone has said in an interview with Awoko Newspaper that “the people’s choice is the wave of God, I’ll be a grassroots Bombali Member of Parliament.”

Bangura, a former reporter of Radio Maria, the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) and Africa Young Voices (AYV) in Makeni was reacting to his latest success as one of the Bombali District Member of Parliament approved by the All People’s Congress National Advisory Committee (NAC) for the June 24 elections.

His Wednesday triumph comes after emerging top of his two other contenders Honorable Allieu Manuel Koroma (an incumbent MP) and Lucy Nicole in the 60% NAC quota set aside for the award of the Symbol to aspiring candidates under the ticket of Sierra Leone’s main opposition party, the All People’s Congress (APC) after his tie with the incumbent Member of Parliament in the 40% preliminary elections held on Monday, 17th April in Makeni, where their party’s lower level delegates casted 22 vote for both candidates and 1 vote for their female contender Lucy Nicole.

While commenting on his next move after being awarded one of the 8 APC Bombali District Member of Parliament ticket for the upcoming elections, the former reporter and football commentator started by thanking his party hierarchy,  the grassroots supporters and everyone that inspired and supported his bid, saying “from the beginning I had said to myself yes I can because it was the people of Bombali that called on me to step up for them politically for a better representation for them and our district at the well of parliament.

“And at this stage I’m an MP hopeful. Thus, I will increase my efforts to meet and talk to the people to vote solidly for the APC on June 24, and I’m thankful to God for his guidance while I hope to be a grassroots Bombali MP,” he ended.

Comments