Sierra Leone goalie retires from International football

By: Alusine Rehme Wilson✍️ 
Sierra Leonean and French based FUSC Bois Guillaume goalkeeper Solomon Zombo Morris has bowed out from international football after representing Sierra Leone at the international stage for eight years. 

Zombo 30, tendered his resigned on Wednesday, 18th August, 2020, and has communicated his decision to the Sierra Leone Football Association citing reasons for retirements. 

“This is one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to take in my football career. The former Leone Stars goal-stopper told Northern Times. “After a lot of soul searching and under the circumstance I’m taking a different direction. 

It’s been both a difficult and complex year for us as a county, but at the same time it’s been a wonderful and uplifting professional and personal experience for me. 

 
“I’ve been inundated with letters and emails from fans. Many have brought tears to my eyes and take it from me it tasks a lot to do that, he recalled. 

Thanks to all loyal supporters of Leone Stars, team mates, officials of the FA and everyone for being part of my journey with my national team. “Leone Stars has given me a feeling from home away from home. 

I might be resigning from the National team physically, but Leone Stars cannot be taken from me and will forever be in my heart. Long Live Leone Stars and Long Live the Green White and Blue, the talented goalie remarked. 

His debut for Sierra Leone was in 2013 in an African Cup of Nations Qualifier against Tunisia and was awarded a precious marble by his former club US Quevilly for participating following an outstanding with his national team.  
The former FC Rouen, FC Dieppe and Toulouse Rodea FC goalkeeper was last seen in action for Leone Stars in their 2022 AFCON qualifier tie opening 1-1 draw against Lesotho played in closed door in Freetown on November 13, bows out with 23 match appearances for Leone Stars.

Comments