Johansen annuls decision to re-contest for SLFA Presidency

By: Alusine Rehme Wilson

The President of the Sierra Leone Football Association has announced her withdrawal from the local federation's upcoming elections.

Her parting means Thomas Daddy Brima, Saddick Deen-Nyarkoh and Rodney Michael who has been cleared by Court of Arbitration for Sports will contest for the SLFA top seat in the Elections scheduled to take place in the Northeastern city of Makeni on Saturday, June 5, 2021.

Isha Johansen revealed that her decision to step down from the SLFA Presidential race is to allow her focus on her FIFA Council Member job where she will be required to play active role as a Global Ambassador for football and its world governing body.

The Confederation of Africa Football Executive Committee Member released the following statement on Tuesday, June 1.

"As recently elected FIFA Council Member, I will he required to play higher level and more active role as a Global Ambassador for Football and FIFA, she said in a statement.
"Building on several years of experience in using football as a tool for change, development, peace and unification, I will be working closely with FIFA in diverse areas including football as a force to bring peace, women in football leadership and promoting women's football. Additionally, I will continue acting as an Ambassador for Africa and Sierra Leone in FIFA and for FIFA in Sierra Leone.

"My new role will require extensive global travelling and consequently, increased demands on my time. After much deliberations and soul searching, it is with sadness that I have decided to announce the withdrawal of my candidacy for President in the upcoming Sierra Leone Football Elections.

"I hereby offer the new SLFA Executive and Staff my best wishes for the future and assure my fill support from within FIFA.

"I want to thank all my supporters and well wishers from across the country for their unwavering loyalty, integrity and for the years of dedication to our course and vision in changing the narrative and raising the game of Sierra Leone Football.

"Whilst I pride myself in the believe that I have played a significant role in restoring integrity, compliance and good governance. I pledged to expand every effort to ensure the delivery of football development programs and infrastructure in Sierra Leone, the deserved benefit of our children and our nation.
"I remain your mother, sister and friend in football."

Johansen assumed office as President of the Sierra Leone Football Association unopposed in August 2013 on a three years term, but Johansen has since enjoined the SLFA top seat embattled. And Saturday's elections will be the first Elective Congress to be held in eight years.

Comments