"The suspension came to me as a surprise” – Wusum Stars Skipper Kanu

By: Alusine Rehme Wilson
Few days after the Wusum Stars Football Club Management announced the suspension of their team captain Abass Push Kanu for allegedly inciting players and production of team jerseys, I  interviewed the skipper to react to the club’s decision against him.

According to the Secretary General of Wusum Stars Football Club, Mohamed Papa Bangura, who told Journalists that the club resolved to suspend Abass Push Kanu for three League matches and has also been banned from training with the club until his suspension elapsed in March incitements on the players as well as the production of jersey.

Kanu says he’s surprised to hear about his suspension being announced on the radio by the club Secretary before receiving the official correspondence from the club. “I’m not really happy to be suspended from the club at a time when the team is struggling to move top of the league table.

“What’s paints me most are the false acquisitions the club has leveled on me while I was only trying to perform my duties as the club’s team captain”, revealed the experienced skipper who has captained Wusum Stars Football Club for nearly 15 years.

“I’ve been producing jerseys out of my expenses and at no profit cost for the club since the team was a division side and after I rallied around my teammates and returned the club to the Sierra Leone Premier League there were urgent needs for supporters and the club at the time could not chip in letting supporters purchasing and putting on South Africa's side Kaiser Chiefs Football Club Jerseys to support us, so I had to produced small quantity of supporters jersey as sample to the market but it was frowned at by the club’s top management who had also suspended me last year and later invited me to a meeting where I had since declined from producing team jerseys, so accusing me of printing jersey at this moment is a surprise to me and an attempt from the club that imposed big shock to me.

“The club say I’m inciting the players while I was only playing my mediation role as team captain after my teammates have expressed their dismay to me for the delay of our January salaries, I approached the club management with our legitimate concerns on salary delay and it was left unattended to until, few hours to our home game with East End Tigers Football Club when I was notified by the management that half of players salary was ready for payment and I told them to hold on for me to inform the players, upon informing my teammates they said they were not willing to receive part payments of their January salary and resolved to talk about payment after the game against E.E Tigers which we lost by 0-1  boom the club pronounced my suspension on the radio the following day.” Kanu further explained.

“Since I was suspended I’ve been training on my own with a broken heart and no member of the technical team has reached me. I feel betrayed and ill treated by a club I have dived and given my energy, resources and sweat for but I’ll remain courageous until I meet the club officials on Saturday, 25th February, 2022 at a meeting they have invited me to for a hearing.” 

Koroma who assisted Alhassan Conteh to score the only goal that ensured Wusum Stars Football Club’s return to the Sierra Leone Premier League since they relegated in 2012 noted conclusively in the Monday evening interview.awe

Comments